Around the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries, Bregenz was still a pronounced baroque city. Today, numerous baroque echoes can still be found in the cityscape. It is primarily church buildings on which the build and design-happy construction style of the 17th and 18th centuries made its mark
The Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus ( Sacré Coeur ) was founded in 1801 by Madeleine Sophie Barat, who was born in 1779 as the daughter of a family of winegrowers in Joigny in Burgundy. In 1854, Riedenburg Abbey became an educational institute, known today as Sacré-Coeur. The foundation of Riedenburg Abbey in 1854 represents something special inasmuch as this house was virtually founded by Madeleine Sophie Barat herself and became the only branch to be visited personally by her in 1856.
The Kreuzkirche am Ölrain is a Protestant reformed church located on the site of a former Roman settlement. The church building, built in the Neo-Gothic style according to plans of architect Carl Leins from Stuttgart from 1862 to 1864, became the first electrically illuminated and heated house of worship of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy in 1904.
St. Gebhard’s Church (1956-61) is designed as a hall with a flat gabled roof and a free-standing tower.
- SiechenkapelleGallusstraße 50Bregenz6800Karte
The Siechenkapelle is a pious foundation of Count Hugo XII of Montfort. Thanks to its construction – special access and gallery – the chapel, which is adjacent to the “Sundersiechenhaus”, a closed care institute for lepers, allowed lepers to attend the services. In the mid-18th century, the small Gothic church was converted to a baroque style.
The chapel of St. John of Nepomuk was built by Johann Michael Beer in 1757. The restored baroque central building with a dome houses a richly adorned high altar. This chapel obtains its name from a sandstone statue of Saint John of Nepomuk that rises above the semi-circular arch portal. The interior is decorated by paintings in the rococo style.
The Mariahilf Parish Church in the Rieden-Vorkloster district was built according to the plans of Clemens Holzmeister from 1925 to 1937. The combination of function buildings (manse and parish hall) and the sacred space into one complex is unique. The pagoda-shaped church tower is also notable.
The Herz-Jesu-Kirche church was built in a neo-Gothic style from 1905 to 1908 and was renovated in 1958 as well as between 1992 and 1995. Architect Joseph Cades designed the plans. It is a three-aisled basilica, with the two church towers reaching a height of 62 metres. A special feature of the church is the clerestory, which is almost twice as high as the side aisles.
St. Kolumban’s Church is the newest church in Bregenz (1962-66). It possesses a rhomboid floor plan with a ceiling raised above the portal and the altar. The bell tower is free-standing.
The mighty church building from the 17th to 18th century sits enthroned above the city. The church was constructed on a pre-Christian cult site and was redesigned on multiple occasions by the famous baroque master builders of the Bregenz Forest.
The chapel was constructed in 1445 in memory of the victory over the Appenzellers and was rebuilt in a baroque style according to the plans of Christian Thumb von Kaspar Held in 1698/99. The lake chapel, which is adjacent to the town hall, is dedicated to St. George and the Mother of God. A special feature is the Renaissance high altar (1615) by Esaias Gruber from the former chapel of Hofen Castle in Lochau.
Located on the basement floor of St. Martin’s Tower is St. Martin’s Chapel. The chancel contains a fresco cycle (14th/15th century), an important art treasure. The chapel is a popular wedding church. The saints seem to grant their blessing as they look down from the walls.
Mehrerau Abbey is one of the most important Cistercian abbeys in the Lake Constance region. Its history stretches back to the 11th century. Its magnificent location beside Lake Constance, the impressive library and its beautiful inner courtyard are most inviting. In addition, the abbey cellar, where specialities of the abbey’s own agricultural production are offered, ensures moments of culinary delight.